[OpenWrt-Devel] Why OpenWrt sucks?

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:55:11 EDT 2015

Hello Valent,

I think, despite that fact you will get some opposition about some
points you mentioned here, your email was a good email in my point of view.

First the the most controversial point about how much Atheros contribute
to the open-source world and to Linux is seems to be that they do a much
better job than many other vendors. They are probably far ahead than
many of the known vendors.
However I wanted to leave a question about the performance which in some
equipment with Atheros chips is in fact slower than with OEM firmware.
Take as example Ubiquiti. They are greatly engineered and as far as I
know kind of base their firmware AirOS in OpenWRT, but I hear (I said
heard) that their Atheroes drivers are not the same ones used by
open-source community (so they have something else from Atheros) and
they end up getting better speed.

The other points I wanted to mention is about the wiki. That is indeed a
really good one you raised which could be better updated with more
information in a more organized way.
In the forums there is plenty of rich information sometimes from the
main people that is developing that specific architecture, but in many
cases the same information, findings, issues, etc, take too long (when
it does) to get to the wiki of that specific board.

I don't think OpenWrt sucks, and quite like it, but I do think it can
get a lot better if people are engaged in more different and nice ways
to contribute.

Fernando