[OpenWrt-Devel] Status of new standard ETSI EN 300 328 (ralink)

Zefir Kurtisi zefir.kurtisi at neratec.com
Mon Feb 2 04:05:59 EST 2015

On 01/31/2015 12:41 PM, Michael Heimpold wrote:
> Hi wifi gurus :-)
>
> I recently learned that devices for the european market must fulfill the
> new ETSI standard EN 300 328 V1.8.1 since 2015-01-01. I also understand
> that most wifi chips require a firmware, often this is a binary vendor blob,
> which is just uploaded into the chip. Then a hardware dependend wifi linux
> driver adopts  to cfg80211 and mac80211 and so on...
>
> So my question is: which parts must be changed to comply with this new
> standard. I guess the firmware blob must provide several functions which
> are used by drivers?
> Next question is: what is the current state of this support in the ralink
> driver, I have a rt5380 based device.
>
> I googled a little bit around, but I only found this thread which is for atheros:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ath9k.devel/13280
>
> So any further information would be welcome.
>
> Thanks, Michael

You might want to read a related thread from the ath9k corner in [1].

The tl;dr version roughly is:
* relevant change between v1.5 and later versions of EN-300.328 is the requirement
to detect shorter radar pulses of 0.5us (before: 0.8us)
* if the HW is able to handle them as is, from FW side everything should be fine
to pass a certification run

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/129535