[OpenWrt-Devel] New "Security" wiki page. Improvements/corrections appreciated

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Tue Dec 29 01:14:55 EST 2015

Hi,

On 29/12/2015 05:49, Brian Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was curious about OpenWrt security so I did some reading. I noticed
> that a lot of the information on the web about OpenWrt security was out
> of date and/or spread across many places, so I made an attempt to
> coalesce what I found into a new wiki page:
>
>     https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/security
>
> The page is intended to be for OpenWrt developers, people doing custom
> builds, and for people developing products on top of OpenWrt. Obviously,
> I am a OpenWrt newb so I probably got a lot of things wrong and I
> probably left a lot of things out. Any help improving the above page
> would be appreciated.

Hi Brian,

correct me if i am wrong but automatic fw upgrades in the field by
controlled by openwrt is not a security feature but a rather insane
idea. what makes you think that we would even want or consider doing so
? i like the fact that you trust me enough to give me full remote root
access to your router and network but common, does that not ring some
alarm bells ? i dont even know where i should start explaining what is
wrong with that idea.

	John