[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq DSL drivers / firmware info

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Tue Aug 18 01:40:31 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 15/08/2015 23:38, Mathias Kresin wrote:
> Am 24.07.2015 um 01:20 schrieb Martin Blumenstingl:
>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Aleksander Wałęski
>> <olewales at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Actually, it just dawned on me that they can be doing just that. In
>>> the bootloader. This is the only part of firmware we are not changing.
>>> If PCBs turn out to be identical we might want to check this.
>> That was my first guess, but I am using the open source u-boot version
>> on the BT Home Hub 5A (= Annex A device) and it still refuses to
>> connect to Annex B (at least back when I tried last, I switched to
>> VDSL like two months ago).
>
> I can confirm that it is unrelated to the bootloader. I crossflashed my
> Annex A W8980v1 with the W9980B (Annex B) firmware. During crossflash,
> the bootloader is updated as well. Afterwards, I do get exactly the same
> error message as Andre:
>
> xDSL Leave SHOWTIME!!
> DSL_CPE: Wrong combination of DSL PHY Firmware and hybrid type used!

this line above says it all ... here is a bit of tech background.

Annex-A is when you run dsl on an analogue phone line
Annex-B is when you run dsl on a digital phone line

For this to work the dsl has a so called hybrid. consider it like a
frequency filter. The hybrid dictates which firmware is required and
what line you can run it on. running an annex-a unit will only ever work
with an annex-a firmware on a POTS line. a annex-b hybrid will require a
annex-b firmware and an ISDN line.

	John