[OpenWrt-Devel] TP-Link v3 header format description

Mathias Kresin openwrt at kresin.me
Thu Aug 13 13:49:03 EDT 2015

Hey Weijie Gao,

> This patch adds header version 2 option for mktplinkfw.

As long as we talk about the same, the new header version is v3. The
v2 header is already covered by mktplinkfw2.c.

Currently, I'm working on the same topic. Everything that is known so
far about the new v3 header is documented in Martins repository:
https://github.com/xdarklight/mktplinkfw3/blob/master/README.md
(please take care of the not yet merged pull request). Maybe you can
confirm/deny what I figured out so far or add missing informations.

It would be nice, if you (or anyone else) can extend your v3 header
creation patch, using the provided informations. It should be possible
the write the complete verification part (-i option). For the creation
part, (only) the private key from tp-link is missing.

> The version 2 header is used for AR/QCA firmwares and is not the same as
> the header generated by mktplinkfw2.
> Instead, it is nearly the same as version 1 header except for the header
> version and the RSA signature.
>
> The header version 2 support is used for newer TP-Link routers which have
> only a 64kb bootloader part, e.g. TL-WDR6500 v2.
> ---
>  tools/firmware-utils/src/mktplinkfw.c | 25 +++++++++++++++++++++----
>  1 file changed, 21 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

IMHO the v3 header is an extension of the v2 header, since TP-Link
switched from v2 to v3 on already deployed devices like the
TD-W8980v1. That's why *I* would prefer to either create a
mktplinkfw3.c or add the required the changes to mktplinkfw2.c.