[OpenWrt-Devel] overcommit memory/ratio

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Sep 17 14:23:36 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 22:29 +0000, Karl P wrote:
> Alternatively, if you know which process it is, set it's oom_adj_score so that
> it gets killed first.

>   Some other people are kinda used to things behaving as
> they are, for better or worse.  (Turning off overcommit on an openwrt device is
> no different than turning off overcommit on a desktop as far as I'm concerned.
> Somethings will be better, lots of things less so)

Well being used to something bad, doesn't mean things cannot get better.
Routers (to which I have some experience at), rarely have processes
running that wouldn't matter if they are randomly killed; on a desktop
system you immediately notice an issue, and you can reboot, a router is
typically running unattended. Being locked out of such a system because
another process had a memory leak, can be an issue.

regards,
Nikos