[OpenWrt-Devel] WeIO - Web of Things Platform

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 20:31:46 EDT 2014

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> So, 400Mhz ARM, single wired ethernet that needs to be populated, as far as I
> can see.   Lots of I/O...  Yes, a nice IoT platform.
>
> Any battery management?
We have not been working on this but normally Carambola 2 module
promises 0.5W power consumption (http://www.8devices.com/carambola-2).
In general AR9331 is very power efficient
(http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n). WeIO has some extra
components (USB hub and MCU), but generally should not be very
different in the terms of power consumption. It is powered by 5V USB,
or via external power supply (has a regulator circuit on board).

In this sense any external battery, like the ones used as extra
batteries for mobile phones and tables, should work without problems.
But there is no battery management circuit in the sense that we can
measure battery status at first revision of WeIO. We will be looking
at more industrial solutions for the second revision and maybe add
some missing features.

> The AR9331 uses the Ath9K wifi driver?

Yes, and this is probably the best Linux WiFi driver. It is very
powerful, has even opened FW part and can support virtual interfaces -
i.e. you can have simultaneous interface in AP and STA mode (tested
and working with WeIO).

> I'm thinking about ease of sticking it in a tree with a solar panel.
I do not have experience with this, but basically any supply between
5V and 15V will be OK for powering the board. I am planning to do some
measurements on the new batch that arrived a few days ago, and I can
present you exact consumption figures.

BR,
Drasko