[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq vdsl2

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Oct 29 11:11:04 EDT 2014

Hi John,

I'd love to and even got a VR9 unit, flashed it with openwrt trunk.
During boot the vr9 dsl driver complains that it can't find the vdsl
firmware. I tried vr9-fw-installer, but the URL referenced there no longer
exists. Then I found http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/6446/
with that applied at least the fw-cutter works and creates a dsl_fw
filesystem which results in the two files
/lib/firmware/lantiq/vr9_tapi_fw.bin
/lib/firmware/lantiq/vr9_dsl_fw_annex_b.bin
being created, the latter having a symlink /lib/firmware/vdsl.bin pointing
to it. Then I setup /etc/config/network to use ptm and vdsl tones, and had
to fix the status script to use vdsl_cpe_control on VR9
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/43101
But still couldn't get the box to sync...
I also looked in forum and found that i need to load a GPL tarball from BT,
found it on
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/super-fastfibreaccess/landrgnu.do
("ECI Arcadyan VDSL modem")
which luckily contained
dsl_vr9_firmware_xdsl-05.04.06.13.01.06_05.04.02.09.01.01.tar.gz
dsl_vr9_firmware_xdsl-05.04.07.09.01.06_05.04.04.04.01.01.tar.gz

I understood that the vendor is using openwrt as their SDK and claims to be
friendly with us. So how come there no usable fw in owrt and things are
rather chaotic?

[CC'in Thomas and Eddi, as you were submitting lantiq-related patches]

Thanks for the insight

Daniel