[OpenWrt-Devel] kernel changes on recompilation?

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Wed Oct 1 19:15:38 EDT 2014

On 01/10/14 14:31, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> When you activate/deactivate packages in menuconfig, it may modify
> what gets compiled into the kernel, to add/remove support for the
> various subsystems needed by the packages you build.  This will
> cause the kernel to be rebuilt with a different package number.
>
> If you just rebuild the image without changing anything in
> menuconfig, I think the kernel package will not be rebuilt.  Not
> sure though, just try and see for yourself :)

Hm.. i can contribute a datapoint: if you make a "dirclean", without
changing anything in the makeconfig or anything else
(say, "make dirclean ; make ; make dirclean; make")
you'll end up with two different kernel-hashes (after step 2 and 4)
so there's (in addition to selected-kernel-features and such) some
kind of build-date being taken into account for calculating the hash,
which gets lost when doing dirclean, somewhere inside build_dir i suppose.

cheers!

gui