[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC 0/2]

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Mon Nov 24 14:49:02 EST 2014

On 21/11/2014 09:41, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> Hi, this adds support for the new TP-LINK outdoor series
> CPE210/220/510/520 ("Pharos"). I'm sending this as a RFC as there
> is a still a number of open questions:
>
> eth0 configuration ================== Looking at the log output of
> the stock firmware, it seems like the to ethernet ports both have
> their own MAC.
>
> After booting OpenWrt, both ethernet ports are connected to the
> internal switch, which is connected to the CPUs GMAC1; I haven't
> been able to get a link on GMAC0 at all, so the current code of
> these patches only initializes GMAC1. I don't know if using both
> GMACs would be preferable, but it seems a bit strange like this, so
> maybe someone with some more insight into the Atheros SoCs could
> look at it or give me some hints?

if you connect tot he switch with 2 macs then you can do the lan/wan
segmenting via vlan'ing inside the swith without the need for a trunk
port and the matching vlan1/2 inside the network config. it would be
preferable to have both working. its not a reason to not merge though

> LED configuration ================= The CPEs have 6 controllable
> LEDs: LAN0, LAN1 and four WLAN signal indicators. Currently my
> patches configure all signal indicators using rssileds, but no
> status or WLAN activity LEDs are left like this.
>

> Image generation ================ The new TP-LINK bootloader
> ("TP-LINK Safeloader") expects the kernel image in ELF format. I've
> tried building the ELF LZMA loader via Image/BuildLoader, but as
> soon as I added a kernel command line there, the image wouldn't
> boot at all. As a workaround, I'm using PatchKernelLzma and then
> build the LZMA loader using the patched kernel as LOADER_DATA.
>
> Also, there's no initramfs support so far. (I've never used
> initramfs with OpenWrt, but it seems like all other image types
> support it?)

initramfs is a ram boot image. the kernel has a rootfs inside and most
bootloader will allow you to boot hese without the need to actually
flash the image.

> Apart from these issues, everything seems to work fine. I've only
> tested this on the CPE510 so far, but I don't see why it shouldn't
> work the same on the CPE210 (the stock firmware, "PharOS", also
> uses just one image for both devices). The CPE220 and CPE520
> variants aren't available yet, but as far as I can tell from the
> information in the manual book, the only difference is the antenna
> (lower angle, higher gain), so I've included them as supported
> devices as well.

looks good, i saw 2-3 mini details int he firmware tool which i will
fix up while merging.

one question, why the mach file and the leds named cpe501 and not say
cpe201 ? (just curious)

	John