[OpenWrt-Devel] OVS on OpenWRT

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:40:24 EST 2014

Hello Yilun,

I think that you can use OVS pretty much as you could use on any other
Linux distro.

We don't have any specific tutorials for OVS on OpenWRT.
There are a few blogs that reference something like that:
http://voices.canonical.com/zhengpeng.hou/11/
http://vishalshahane.blogspot.ro/2014/04/configuring-tp-link-wr1043nd-v21-as.html

What is important regarding OVS on OpenWRT is to read about the
/etc/config/network format.
That's on the OpenWRT here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network

Looks like you need to configure OVS to setup bridges/flows via ovs-vsctl +
ovs-ofctl commands and then in /etc/config/network you need to setup your
IP addresses and other stuff.

FYI: OVS is officially supported in the latest OpenWRT trunk.
It's here in the package feeds:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/openvswitch

Thanks