[OpenWrt-Devel] Need help adding a config option to wifi-device

Shankar Unni shankarunni at netscape.net
Thu Jul 24 14:41:15 EDT 2014

Working with trunk SVN version 41290.

I'm trying to tweak our setup to pass additional parameters on the command line to hostapd, and I was hoping to configure that using /etc/config/wireless, in the config wifi-device section.

So I added
     option addl_param 'pval'

to the wifi-device configuration.  Then in drv_mac80211_setup() (in /lib/netifd/wireless/mac80211.sh), in the initial json_get_vars call, I added addl_param, and later, I added the following:

        [ -n "$hostapd_ctrl" ] && {
                /usr/sbin/hostapd -P /var/run/wifi-$phy.pid -B "$hostapd_conf_file" $addl_param

The problem is that my parameter value doesn't show up here.

What do I need to do to make the json_get_vars return the right value of addl_param from the config? Am I supposed to explicitly push that value into some place in some other script?  Or is there some magic about the existing options to wifi-device?

I tried to follow the handling of things like "channel", etc., and did a bunch of monkey-see-monkey-do changes to also mention addl_param in all those places (/lib/netifd/hostapd.sh, etc.), but nothing seems to help.

I guess I'm really missing a big chunk of the picture here..

Thanks for any help!