[OpenWrt-Devel] Board-specific config for WNR1000v2

Cody Jackson cody at jacksontech.net
Tue Jul 8 16:59:53 EDT 2014

Hello all;

A OpenWRT ramdisk image runs nicely on my Netgear WNR1000v2 VC (Atheros
7240 CPU, ar71xx target) except for the minor fact that when booted as a
"generic" board, there are no network devices. (But who needs those
anyway on a router, right?)

I'm hacking on the WNR2000 board init code (in
linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ath79/mach-wnr2000.c) and I believe I
understand the gist of what it's doing. However, when I try booting with
my hacked code, it crashes on ath79_register_wmac().

I think the key is this line:

u8 *eeprom = (u8 *) KSEG1ADDR(0x1fff1000);

But I'm not sure what it does. My best guest is that it's a pointer to
the flash memory (or possibly a specific portion of it, such as the ART
partition with the device MAC addresses), with the magic number being
its address in the address space of the device. I don't think 0x1fff1000
is correct for the WNR1000v2. How can I go about figuring out the
correct address (if it is incorrect)?

I've browsed through the Netgear GPL'd source code but there is an
overwhelming number of addresses specified in a header file (ar7240.h).
However, 0x1f00000000 is defined as AR7240_SPI_BASE, which does seem to
be flash memory...

I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

-Cody Jackson