[OpenWrt-Devel] [Bug: Busybox 1.22.1] false return 0 instead of 1 with '--help' switch.

Alive4ever alive4ever at live.com
Fri Aug 29 08:01:26 EDT 2014

I'm using an embedded system with busybox v1.22.1, running Openwrt Chaos Chalmer r42321, mips24k AR9330

When I call 'busybox false --help', the return status is zero. I think it has nothing todo with openwrt, because it's the output of busybox, not the problem on openwrt performance. I feel it's strange, because GNU coreutils false binary gives return status 1, even when invoked with '--help' switch. I also notice that Ubuntu busybox false, which is version 1.21.1 performs the same behaviour as GNU coreutils.

Since /bin/false is linked to busybox and configured to disable login for daemon users, it will pose s security hole if this zero return status is exploited. I mark this as bug  because busybox false doesn't return 'false'.

Is this behaviour intended with busybox false implementation?

Thanks.