[OpenWrt-Devel] GIT or SVN for patch diffs

Jonas Gorski jogo at openwrt.org
Fri Aug 15 12:40:24 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Stephen Parry <sgparry at mainscreen.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> Can someone tell me please:
> a) Is git the preferred way of making patches as suggested here:
> https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/SubmittingPatches/Svn ?

Git is the recommended way as it makes it quite easy to create and
send working patch emails, but you are not required to use it.

> b) Can I submit a patch against HEAD on a branch (e.g. 14.07) or only
> against trunk?

Patches should be against trunk and will be backported to affected
branches if needed. If the issue only affects the branch, then an
patch against the branch is fine. This is to ensure that fixes can't
get "lost" in a branch.

> c) Which commands of the many possible git permutations should I use the
> generate the patch ?

git format-patch is what I use.

My workflow is basically (for a single patch)

a) edit stuff
b) ensure it compiles
c) git add <modified/new files>
d) git commit -s
e) <add proper subject in first line, empty line, commit message>
f) git show -1 (to review the patch)
f) git format-patch -1
g) git send-email --to=... --cc=... 0001-*

for patch series, do a to f accordingly, then git format-patch -<x>,
where x = number of patches, or <rev> (maybe also a --cover-letter),
then send the patch series.

Jonas