[OpenWrt-Devel] [ANN] MicroPython - well-known scripting language, unbloated

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:07:38 EDT 2014

Hello Nicolás,

Sorry for the delay with response - vacation time.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:30:55 -0300
Nicolás Echániz <nicoechaniz at altermundi.net> wrote:

> On 07/14/2014 06:30 PM, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>
> > I don't want to have a long thread here discussing
> > non-technical sides of MicroPython (that's surely an offtopic), just
> > hope that answers above clarify that there's some paradigm behind
> > the project. One thing is clear - if more people won't use it, and
> > contribute to it, it won't make it. I hope that MicroPython may be
> > of interest (at least in FYI sense) to OpenWRT users/developers,
> > that's why I posted about it, and if someone will like it - the
> > better ;-).
>
> I like very much the idea of being able to use Python on the routers
> as an alternative to what we currently do in Lua.
> I can relate to your phrase: "in many places where Lua is used
> currently, it is used only because of the lack of alternatives."
>
> Are you maintaining an OpenWrt package feed for MicroPython? We'd like
> to test using it for libre-mesh.

No, I'm not maintaining OpetWRT package, I'm working on core
implementation, standard library port, and web microframework
currently, so it will take some time for me to make, test, and submit
package recipe for it to OpenWRT. Well, that's why I posted - hoping
that someone working closely on OpenWRT might get interested.

What I did myself is built MicroPython using OpenWRT SDK, made sure it
starts up on real hardware, as well as run testsuite using QEMU (running
testsuite on real hardware is still on TODO). I pushed scripts I used
to https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython/tree/cross ("cross" branch of
https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython git repo), unix/build-mips.sh is
the build script.

Hope that will give an easy start for folks who want to try MicroPython
on OpenWRT, and if someone will make recipe out of it, that will be
just cool.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com