[OpenWrt-Devel] concept of package/compile output

thomas.langer at lantiq.com thomas.langer at lantiq.com
Wed Aug 6 07:44:31 EDT 2014

Hello Claudio,

Claudio Thomas wrote on 2014-08-06:
> Hi,
> is there a special concept what the package/compile output (without V=s)
> shows?

These are the real targets the build system is executing, nothing intended to be called directly by a user!
The "make[3]" indicates that it is already the third sub-process of make from your invocation!
This includes some internal lookups to find the real path of a package and providing
some other information from the build environment.

> Sometime you see something like..
>     make[3] -C package/libs/librpc compile
>     make[3] -C package/network/utils/iwinfo compile
>     make[3] -C package/system/uci compile
> what corresponds to the make-rules
>     make package/libs/librpc/compile
>     make package/network/utils/iwinfo/compile
>     make package/system/uci/compile
>
> but also often
>     make[3] -C feeds/packages/admin/htop compile
>     make[3] -C feeds/packages/libs/file compile
>     make[3] -C feeds/packages/net/wget compile
> what does not corresponds to the expected but not existent target-rules
>     make feeds/packages/admin/htop/compile
>     make feeds/packages/libs/file/compile
>     make feeds/packages/net/wget/compile
> but to the rules:
>     make package/feeds/packages/htop/compile
>     make package/feeds/packages/file/compile
>     make package/feeds/packages/wget/compile
>
> Last ones I've found out by try and error...
> OK, no I know it, but I'm probably not the first one :-)

The simple rule, if you want to compile a package NAME,
just call "make package/NAME/compile" and ignore the real path for the package!

> Why does the output of the first examples is identical to the target
> rule and on the others not?
> Why is in the first examples the section (libs, network/utils, system)
> part of the target rule and on the others not?

If you look at the path of the packages, you can find a symlink inside.
And make will automatically replace it by the real path...

> Suggestion: Maybe it could make things easier for all newbies that join
> openwrt in future if the output reflect the real target rule, like in
> the first examples.
>
> Best regards,
> Claudio

Best Regards,
Thomas
---
There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.
---