malta missed out from snapshot and release builds

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 07:44:23 EST 2017

On 26 February 2017 at 20:08, Felix Fietkau <nbd at nbd.name> wrote:
> On 2017-02-26 12:11, Daniel Golle wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 05:55:02PM +0800, Yousong Zhou wrote:

>>> I see now, thanks.
>>>
>>> What do you guys think about bringing back the be and le subtarget?
>>> They share the same arch as ramips and ar71xx and having such a target
>>> readily available will be handy for testing, debugging, trying both
>>> snapshot and release builds.
>>
>> +1 malta binaries *are* useful in practise, I use them with
>> ImageBuilder for debugging MIPS software with tools too large to fit
>> into the actual target RAM. Having release binaries for malta is just
>> as crucial as it is for armvirt, this can be used to verify that
>> software package X behaves well on MIPS(el) in a *reproducible and
>> (host-)platform agnostic* way.
>> And they are also useful for KVM-enabled targets (such as mt7621).
>> If anything is missing, I'd happily help out here.
> Do we need both le and be? Isn't one of those two enough?
>
> - Felix

If I a choice has to be made, I will pick "be" ;)  I prefer it over le
ever since hnyman reported an issue [1] which could only be triggered
on a big-endian platform...  For the very same reason, it would be
better if we can have them both.

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/1e29676a8ac74f797f8ca799364681cec575ae6f#commitcomment-12901931

                yousong