v1.3.1 tag is not present in any branch

Jessica Clarke jrtc27 at jrtc27.com
Sun Jul 23 21:54:32 PDT 2023

On 24 Jul 2023, at 05:41, Anup Patel <anup at brainfault.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 9:24 AM Jessica Clarke <jrtc27 at jrtc27.com> wrote:

>>> I had pushed release-1.3.1 branch two days back since few
>>> folks (including yourself) reported this issue.
>>
>> What happens if there’s then a 1.3.2?
>
> If the commit history of 1.3.2 differs from the master branch then
> we will have to create release-1.3.2 branch for 1.3.2 as well.

If 1.3.2 is based off master not 1.3.1 then that’s some very misleading
versioning. I would seriously hope that 1.3.2 is 1.3.1 + patches, both
content-wise and history-wise, and thus it belongs in a 1.3.x branch.

>> 1.3.1 is overly narrow. Good for tags but not branches.
>> Something like 1.3.x as suggested is more forward-thinking.
>
> I agree and that's why I had only created a tag but it seems
> not everyone prefers git fetch to get latest tags.

So why did you choose to create release-1.3.1 rather than release-1.3.x
as was originally suggested?

Jess