Help: commit 6112d58 breaks my kernel boot

Gabriel Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 14:35:54 PST 2023

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 09:56:56PM +0000, Conor Dooley wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 12:28:52PM -0500, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:

> > > Yes, removing the `reg-names` line from the clint node allows the
> > > kernel to boot without issues.
> >
> > I have to wonder, though, is that the "proper" fix, or just a
> > temporary workaround? Is the `reg-names` entry actively "wrong"
> > in the context of the rest of my clint node, or is parsing in opensbi
> > actually buggy at the moment?
>
> The parsing in OpenSBI is binding compliant (as far as I can see from a
> brief look at the commit you identified) but I suppose it could be
> limited to avoid checking reg-names for things matching the regular clint,
> if there are a lot of incorrect devicetrees out there likely to be
> affected.

As luck would have it, mine is a soft-core fpga-based cpu setup, and
the Rocket-provided dts is a sample that can be (and is) edited before
deployment -- so I can easily comment out or remove the `reg-names`
line in addition to all the other "massaging" I do to the sample they
provide. In some plausible future I might even figure out how they
generate the dts and submit a patch to stop them from adding the offending
line in the first place.

It would be a problem for any actual hardware that ships with a "bad"
DTS in ROM -- but that's for someone else to complain about... ;)

Thanks again,
--Gabriel