console putchar/getchar ecalls and sbi v02

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Wed Jun 1 07:30:35 PDT 2022

Hi,

I just stumbled across the issue that the console_putchar and _getchar
ecalls are only part of the v0.1 specification and the spec states that
they "are expected to be deprecated; they have no replacement."

As I was using that for their earlycon functionality for a bit and haven't
found the reasoning behind the deprecation so far, I guess I'm curious
why it is going away :-) .

The commit adding the spec-note [0] also gives no explanation for it
and Google also wasn't helpful.

Any hints?

Thanks
Heiko