Why does the firmware memory region have no permissions?

Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) abner.chang at hpe.com
Sat May 15 16:29:31 BST 2021

I understand the importance of not giving any chance to tamper PMP setting, however this could be the responsibility of the next boot phase before OS. OpenSBI as the early phase boot firmware should be generally provide SBIs to platform variants, and have the flexibility to hand off to either M-mode or S-mode firmware (Actually I don't think OpenSBI should handle this). Platform code is provided by OEM/vendor, OpenSBI should allow it if platform code says I would like to run my next phase firmware in M-mode. We restrict the privilege phase for the next phase in OpenSBI also not compliant with the UEFI spec which says UEFI RISC-V firmware could be executed in either M-mode or S-mode. Some EFI driver may be loaded in S-mode but provide the M-mode code such as management mode, the Platform Runtime Mechanism or some other use cases. The next firmware has the responsibility to switch to S-mode when handoff to OS or software if the platform design requires that (I remember we have the similar sentence in riscv-platform-spec). EDK2 code can't just remove the check "dom->next_mode", we use OpenSBI without any changes.

> I am still worried about the custom SBI extension required by EDK2. This
> will not work when running EDK2 inside Guest/VM because Guest/VM
> boots in VS-mode and the SBI calls are provided by hypervisors (KVM,
> Xvisor, etc). I think you should revisit EDK2 boot-flow to make it
> compatible with virtualization and OpenSBI domains.

Ok, I will revisit this. Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,
Abner