Why does the firmware memory region have no permissions?

Anup Patel Anup.Patel at wdc.com
Thu Jun 3 23:57:52 PDT 2021

UEFI spec is based on RISC-V privilege spec does not mean UEFI has to
run in M-mode only.

The simplest platform having M-mode will not support regular S-mode
Linux which is the client software for UEFI so if there is not UEFI client
on a simple M-mode only platform then why should EDK2 target
M-mode only platform ??

On similar lines, OpenSBI only supports platforms where S-mode is
available because there is no point in providing SBI services for platform
not having S-mode.

> I also curious about why opensbi restricts to switch the next mode to M-
> mode. How does opensbi runs on the platform only provides M-mode?

That's because OpenSBI acts as secure monitor. The TEE will run as
secure OpenSBI domain whereas Linux (non-secure) software will run
as non-secure OpenSBI domain.

> > What RISC-V is lacking up to now is run modes for trusted execution
> > environments like OP-TEE. This is where you would place management
> > mode code and not in M-mode.
> Yes, that is the plan to have management mode runs in TEE, do you have
> suggestion how do we load the MM driver to TEE from S-mode, in which
> phase we can we initial the MM environment and load the MM driver to TEE
> through DXE dispatcher?  and all under S-mode.
> Is any of S-mode entities can load itself to TEE?

We need to define SBI TEE calls where OpenSBI will forward these TEE calls
from Linux (non-secure) domain to OP-TEE (secure) domain. These SBI TEE
calls will have mechanism to load MM driver to secure domain (or similar
things).

Once we define the SBI TEE calls and possible ways to load TEE, the
RISC-V TEE story will become complete.

The OpenSBI domain support and SBI TEE calls will make RISC-V
TEE competitive with ARM TF-A.

I am totally convinced now that EDK2 should entirely run in S-mode
so that we can re-use EDK2 for Guest/VM. The SBI provider for EDK2
could be OpenSBI or hypervisors. This will be exactly same as how
EDK2 runs in ARM world.

Regards,
Anup