AnyConnect CSD debugging

Mah, Matthew Yew Mun Matthew_Mah at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 25 22:17:08 PDT 2023

Hello,

I am using OpenSUSE tumbleweed with openconnect 9.12-1.2 through the KDE network manager to connect to a Cisco AnyConnect VPN using two-factor authentication with Duo. This was working until the VPN server side recently changed to require running the CSD trojans, and I have been unsuccessful at reconfiguring the VPN client. As requested in the documentation, I am seeking help debugging this issue.

This is the message that I read as requiring the CSD trojan:
Error: Server asked us to run CSD hostscan.
You need to provide a suitable --csd-wrapper argument.

I tried to configure the network manager setting "Allow Cisco Secure Desktop trojan" and setting the csd-post.sh modified to include "set -x" on line 2 as the CSD wrapper.

I tried this both with and without the User Agent string "AnyConnect".

Below is the slightly anonymized contents of the debug log, with the csd-post.sh script.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

POST https://vpn.example.org/
Attempting to connect to server a.b.c.d:443
Connected to a.b.c.d:443
SSL negotiation with vpn.example.org
Connected to HTTPS on vpn.example.org with ciphersuite (TLS1.2)-(ECDHE-SECP256R1)-(RSA-SHA512)-(AES-256-GCM)
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:36:23 GMT
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:36:24 GMT
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:36:26 GMT
HTTP body chunked (-2)
Refreshing +CSCOE+/sdesktop/wait.html after 1 second...
GET https://vpn.example.org/+CSCOE+/sdesktop/wait.html
SSL negotiation with vpn.example.org