Cannot enter 2FA code

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:56:25 PDT 2022

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:19 PM Henry Luis
<Henry.Luis at networkedenergy.com> wrote:
> Today, openconnect prompts me for the 2FA code but does not give me the chance to enter it (see the "Enter PASSCODE" line below).  The same happens when I use the network manager Gnome GUI. This used to work as of yesterday.

Clearly, something must have changed on your *server*, because nothing
changed about the client *software* that you're running… right?

My educated guess from the limited information here is that the form
field sent by the server to request the 2FA code has changed in such a
way that OpenConnect doesn't recognize it as a fillable field anymore.
But that's only a guess.

1. Use `openconnect -vvv --dump` to add copious additional debugging
information. To figure this out, we'll particularly want to see the
details of the "challenge"/2FA form, sent in response to
the initial `POST https://my-vpn-dot-com/+webvpn+/index.html`.

2. You're using an old version of OpenConnect, as shown by the exact
error messages. What does `openconnect --version` show?

3. Newer versions have better error messages *and* work with servers with
newer authentication-related behavior. I'd recommend building v9.01
from source (https://www.infradead.org/openconnect/building.html) and
testing that, to see if it makes your connection work again.

Dan