OpenConnect 9.01 does not work under Ubuntu 20.04

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed May 4 11:12:23 PDT 2022

On Wed, 2022-05-04 at 18:59 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:

> The same can be done by maintaining a symbols file. I do that for the
> actual Debian/Ubuntu builds (
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/openconnect/-/blob/master/debian/libopenconnect5.symbols
> ), but it's a _lot_ of work and it would constantly break the builds
> as new things are added/removed, so I did not add it to the upstream
> builds.

It shouldn't break the build as things are added; surely that's the
point?

It *should* break the build if things are removed without bumping the
soname. Which is also the point :)

But I don't really understand why Debian lists each individual symbol.
The library *minor* version really ought to be enough for any even
semi-sanely-maintained library. And if the library is *so* badly
maintained that it isn't enough, all bets are off anyway; the developer
might even break binary ABI between versions *without* changing symbol
names or version, surely?

Anyway, for OpenConnect this script ought to be able to build the
symbols file from openconnect.h, which does have a history of when each
symbol was added:
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/openconnect-deb.git/blob/HEAD:/gensyms.sh