OpenConnect GUI for Android and Windows

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:31:33 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021, 3:46 AM Thomas Glanzmann <thomas at glanzmann.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> it seems that the current openconnect package in the android appstore
> does not work for Android and that the openconnect gui for Windows is no
>
> longer maintained, is that the case?

re Android: I made some changes a couple years ago to add
multiprotocol support (see
https://github.com/dlenski/ics-openconnect).

I have been planning to do more updates, and get them onto the Play
Store and F-Droid, but I'm waiting for the next official release of
the base OpenConnect library before I tackle this.
There are a few new API tweaks that are sorely needed to address
common complaints of Android users, especially
https://gitlab.com/openconnect/openconnect/-/merge_requests/49, and I
don't want to diverge from upstream.

re Windows: openconnect-gui hasn't been updated in a long time. I
believe Lubomir Carik mentioned losing access to some of the source
code necessary to continue building it. I personally don't use
Windows, and no longer have $OLDJOB (where getting Windows-using
colleagues to use OpenConnect made my life easier)…  🤷🏻‍♂️

> If no one else volunteers, I would like to pick up the task.

Building the Android package is a lot of work, and very slow in terms
of compile time. If you want to take a crack at it, I'd welcome the
help. Take a look at https://gitlab.com/openconnect/ics-openconnect.
First order of business would probably be getting the CI/CD to work on
Gitlab, so we can build the considerable automatically.

Dan