Unable to connect using openconnect on Debian Jessie

Martin Moore martinm at it-helps.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 06:15:13 PDT 2017

Hi,

I'm moving from physical servers running Debian Jessie using Cisco 5505/6
ASA boxes to create a VPN to a Cisco at the server end to Google Compute
running Jessie at the client end. As I can't use physical VPN clients I need
a s/w solution and OpenConnect has been recommended by the server end
support as ‘works but is not supported’ so I can't really get any help from
them.

I’ve created the PEM file:
openssl pkcs12 -in client.p12 -out client.pem

Then

openconnect -c client.pem 1.2.3.4 POST
https://1.2.3.4/Attempting to connect to server 1.2.3.4:443
Failed to connect to host 1.2.3.4
Failed to open HTTPS connection to 1.2.3.4
GET https://1.2.3.4/ Attempting to connect to server 1.2.3.4
Failed to connect to host 1.2.3.4
Failed to open HTTPS connection to 1.2.3.4
Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie

Hopefully I've missed a stage or config setting, but I guess being a VPN I'm
not gonna get any useful logging!

I haven't been asked for the passphrase - is this relevant?

What have I missed?

Thanks.

Martin.