SSL connection failure: Error in the pull function.

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 12:44:34 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-09-08 at 14:58 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Michael Haubenwallner
> <michael.haubenwallner at ssi-schaefer.com> wrote:
>
> > Same problem here when using GnuTLS 3.5.13,
> > but there is no problem with GnuTLS 3.3.26.
>
> Could you share its IP? Otherwise try I'd recommend using "gnutls-cli
> IP -d 6" and try git-bisect on gnutls master to see which commit
> broke
> the connection (if you cannot use git, you may want to use the
> released tarballs).

That's a very peculiar/broken server and I do not believe it makes
sense even trying fix it on client side.

You can connect on it only if there is a particular ordering on the
cipher suites and if there are not many ciphersuites advertized.

fails: gnutls-cli servername --priority NORMAL
ok: gnutls-cli servername --priority NORMAL:-ECDHE-RSA
ok: gnutls-cli servername --priority NORMAL:-DHE-RSA
ok: gnutls-cli servername --priority NORMAL:-KX-ALL:+ECDHE-
RSA:+RSA:+DHE-RSA
fails: gnutls-cli servername --priority NORMAL:-KX-ALL:+ECDHE-
RSA:+ECDHE-ECDSA:+RSA:+DHE-RSA

Also with openssl.

fails: openssl s_client -host servername -port 443 -cipher
DHE:RSA:ECDHE
ok: openssl s_client -host servername -port 443 -cipher RSA:ECDHE
ok: openssl s_client -host servername -port 443 -cipher DHE:ECDHE
fails: openssl s_client -host servername -port 443 -cipher
DHE:ECDHE:RSA

You'd better contact your vendor to fix it. The fact that it works with
some implementations seems to be incidental.