Getting "SSL connection failure: PKCS #11 error." even when supplying the correct CA file

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Apr 28 03:17:59 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 12:02 +0200, David Raison wrote:

> On 28/04/17 11:38, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > PKCS#11 is the local module for your smart card. It's not about the
> > server's certificate.
> That's what I thought at first, but then it worked with anyconnect when
> I had made that change, so I believed it might be related.
>
> And it had worked before… for like 2 days before it started failing for
> everyone using this client certificate provider and VPN gateway on
> Linux. The smartcards haven't changed, so it must be some external factor.

What is the PKCS#11 provider module you're using?

It's possible that something in the exchange over the network is
causing us to trigger a latent bug... hard to say before we see more
debugging info really.

We should also try with pkcs11-spy.

> > Can you run with --gnutls-debug=99
> Which version of openconnect does this work on? I'm using 6.00 and
> installing 7.08 from apt on debian would mean upgrading libstdc++6 and a
> whole bunch of dependencies. I can try this on a random machine though.

Trying it on a random Fedora machine would be best, if that's possible.