Certificates with password

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 04:20:55 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Matthew Zimmerman <mzimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The client certificates I would like to use for ocserv are issued as
> part of another business process and I can't re-issue them.  They
> don't have the usernames I would like to use embedded in them.  They
> do have an email address as the SAN(rfc822name).
> I can see the username (email) getting extracted during the login
> process, however the anyconnect client then disconnects.  I can't tell
> from the ocserv logs (running -d 9999) what the reason why is.
> When I think about what needs to happen however, I have specified the
> authentication of the certificate/user, but there's no location in the
> config where I give certain users authorization.  How does that work?

If you only enable certificate authentication, the possession of a
signed certificate is sufficient to access the server. You would need
to utilize a rigorous process to issue certificates and revocation
with CRLs to disable access.

> As an aside, I tried to use ocpasswd to create passwords for the email
> addresses associated with the certificates, however that doesn't seem
> to work either.

If you enable both certificate and password authentication, the
presence in the password file will be required to access the server.

> Finally as a last resort, is it possible to do the certificate
> verification (meaning that they're issued by a trusted CA) only and
> then use the password for the actual authentication?

Yes. It is a matter of how you combine the authentication methods.

> Turns out this seems to be a compatability issue with the AnyConnect
> client as when using the openconnect client on linux, I can
> successfully connect with the certification authentication mode turned
> on.

That's interesting. Is that some new client? Did you try to enable the
cisco client compatibility options on?
Note that there is openconnect-gui as well, a windows client for ocserv.