Losing connection with Unknown DTLS packet

Stuart Luppescu slu at ccsr.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 28 12:59:25 PST 2016

On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 20:44 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 15:38 -0500, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
> >

> > I will do this. This seemed to coincide with upgrades to our
> > analysis
> > servers, but that should not have anything to do with the VPN
> > gateway,
> > should it?
>
> Maybe if they caused packets to be seen out of order, which would be
> odd. And would have to be coupled with a strange bug like the
> historical OpenSSL one, which is also unlikely.
>
> If you could ever reproduce that bug, I'd be very interested to see a
> packet capture of the UDP frames on the public network, along with
> the
> master-secret and session-id headers from the VPN negotiation.
>
> You would be giving me *all* the traffic from that network connection
> though, if you did that. And you'd want to sign off that session
> before
> sending them too, or I could use the secret/session-id to connect for
> myself. So maybe just capture them to a file, and I can talk you
> through interpreting them with wireshark.

Yeah, if only I could reproduce it. It generally only happens at night
when I'm not using the computer, but it's still connected. (Last week I
was doing some very, very long analyses that had to run over night, and
I had to leave the VPN connected. I lost all that work when the VPN
disconnected and had to do it all over again. I should have done it in
a screen. Grrr.) I generally leave it running all the time, but I don't
think I've seen it cut off during the day when I'm using it. I could
set up Wireshark but I wonder if I have enough disk space to capture
all the packets until it fails.
--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)