Losing connection with Unknown DTLS packet

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:33:39 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Stuart Luppescu <slu at ccsr.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 11:59 -0800, Daniel Lenski wrote:
>> Search for the original errors in the more verbose output ("Unknown
>> DTLS packet").
>>
>> Does the more verbose output show additional pertinent information
>> *around* these errors?
>
> Didn't find any lines with Unknown DTLS packet.

Whatever's wrong with your VPN doesn't seem to be easily reproducible.

Do you know if there was any recent upgrade to the VPN gateway(s)? If
there's an alternate/backup gateway then it may be worth trying that
gateway to see if it's more any reliable, or pestering your IT
department about the problem.

>> This prevents OC from using the better-performing DTLS tunnel, and
>> forces it to only use the HTTPS tunnel, which is usually "less
>> broken."
>
> OK, I'll try this, but does "better-performing" mean that if I use the
> HTTPS tunnel, the connection will be even slower? It's *really* slow as
> it is now.

Unless the problems with your VPN are due to a lossy or extremely slow
connection between your computer and the gateway… then it probably
won't be significantly slower.

Dan