Losing connection with Unknown DTLS packet

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 09:23:09 PST 2016

On Nov 23, 2016 1:01 PM, "Stuart Luppescu" <slu at ccsr.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hello all, Recently I've been losing my VPN connection with many
> messages like this in the console:
>
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type f6, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 76, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type f6, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 76, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
> Unknown DTLS packet type 0b, len 1
>
> I'm running openconnect 7.07 on a Gentoo Linux system.
>
> Any idea how to fix this?

Can you run as openconnect -vvvvv to show maximal verbosity of
debugging output? Does the more verbose output give additional
information about what's going wrong?

The source code of dtls.c suggests that the bad packets may be due to
bugs in particular versions of OpenSSL. It looks like the default
Gentoo packages build with GnuTLS instead, however
(https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/openconnect).

                default:
                        vpn_progress(vpninfo, PRG_ERR,
                                     _("Unknown DTLS packet type %02x,