OS X proxy server settings

Rick Hornsby rhornsby at ktzr.net
Sun Aug 28 16:33:03 PDT 2016

I'm aware of proxy settings in the openconnect client for connecting to the VPN, but I haven't been able to find a way to properly establish proxy settings in OS X _after_ I'm connected to the VPN server.

As far as I'm able to tell, OS X handles these settings on a per-NIC basis, through the System Preferences. utun0 never shows up as a proper interface to allow these settings to be applied. That is, utun0 doesn't appear in the System Preferences > Network pane as a device, and it isn't available as a configurable interface using the 'networksetup' command.

Since outbound port 80 is blocked on the corporate network and we're forced to use the proxy server, I can only seem to find two remaining options: use Firefox (it has its own proxy settings) for web browsing (rather than Safari or Chrome), or split tunnel. Of the two Firefox seems like the less drastic measure.

I'd really like to apply proxy settings to the utun0 interface, but I can't figure how. I don't think this is necessarily an issue specifically with openconnect, but rather how utun0 operates as some kind of virtual interface - a kind of second class citizen to OS X?

I was able to find a script[1] to manipulate proxy settings from the command line, but where utun0 should have a GUID for PrimaryService, it only has 'utun0'.

thanks!

[1] https://gist.github.com/alexargo/4657760