Setting tunnel IP address fails on German Windows 7

Martin Pauly pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Fri Jul 17 02:53:31 PDT 2015

Hello,

just a status update on this, and sorry for the delay.
Many sorts of "playing around", i.e. renaming the tun interface
seem to fix the problem permanently. E.g. renaming the adapter
forth and back will leave you with a permanently working system.
So I now believe this is not only about the adapter names
but rather about some subtle change in some other part of
the environment, perhaps not even the registry.
So to reproduce the error, you need a fresh install almost every time
you try something. This is no big deal with a VM image, of course,
but cornering the error might require more than dumping a registry branch
"before" and "after". I hope that in a couple of weeks from now  I am able
to report something more detailed as I should have a little more time then.

It is a minor issue anyway, and most users of German Windows
running into this probably have hit the point where the problem
was simply gone.

But: The windows port itself _is_ important. I have a production
case with a set of clients that need to set up all routing
by themselves -- which is something you can't do any more with
Anyconnect.

Cheers, Martin

--
   Dr. Martin Pauly     Phone:  +49-6421-28-23527
   HRZ Univ. Marburg    Fax:    +49-6421-28-26994