Setting tunnel IP address fails on German Windows 7

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jul 3 01:32:01 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-07-03 at 10:24 +0200, Martin Pauly wrote:

> So looks like it's really all about the adapter name chosen by some Windows magic.
> In my Opinion, setting the name explicitly to something clear like "TUN/TAP openvpn/openconnect"
> would help anyway. You could tell adapters apart much easier then.

I haven't looked at precisely how Nikos has incorporated the OpenVPN
signed driver into his OpenConnect installer. It might be possible to
change things so that it gets a more appropriate name.

That might "simply" be a case of repacking the TAP installer, or even
invoking it differently. Worst case it might require rebuilding the TAP
driver. But I don't think so. And Red Hat has Windows driver signing
keys anyway... :)

> BTW, manually calling openvpn's
> %ProgramFiles%\TAP-Windows\devcon.exe install "addtap.bat" (which in turn calls devcon.exe)
> results in another "LAN-Verbindung 3" (the name was no longer occupied because of the above rename).

Does that one work?

What if you take the working one and rename it *back* to 'LAN
-Verbindung 3' (or 4)? Does it work then?

I know I deliberately checked the character set handling with evil
names like TAP♥. If the default in English doesn't have spaces, though,
then perhaps I neglected to test that? Try a name without spaces?