Setting tunnel IP address fails on German Windows 7

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jul 2 04:14:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 18:27 +0200, Martin Pauly wrote:
> First, I suspected the language-dependent interface identifiers, but
> with netsh you only get an "Element not found" when at least the
> identifier exists (which is "LAN-Verbindung 3" in my case,
> corresponding to "Local Area Connection 3".

I'm assuming this is the machine you sent the registry dump from? On
another machine it was named 'Ethernet 2', yes?

How was the TAP driver installed? Normally it gets a name like
'TAP-Windows Adapter V9'. That doesn't naturally translate to
'LAN-Verbindung 3'.

But looking at your registry files, it definitely looks like that's
what it's called. Does OpenVPN fare any better? If you run
'openvpn --show-adapters' what name does it give?

It is 'LAN-Verbindung 3' which is displayed in the control panel if you
go to the adapter settings? If you rename it there, do things change?

Is it possible to work out what name *does* work with 'netsh' for this
device?