Does Ocserv support bridge mode?

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:10:37 PST 2015

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM, tefeng <tefeng.em at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, All,
>> I've googled but there seems be no HOWTO on it.  Does Ocserv support
>> bridge mode?
>
> Openconnect is an internet-layer VPN. If by bridge you mean a tap
> (ethernet) bridge, no that cannot be done. Most likely you don't need
> an ethernet bridge either. There is simply no reason to use it.
>
> regards,
> Nikos

Actually, OpenVPN sees usage in some retro gaming communities specifically
because it has a bridged mode (and is much easier to set up than L2TP) - it
can allow people to play older networked games that used raw Ethernet, or
IPX, or other no-longer-viable technologies; especially when people to play
them with tend to be thin on the ground.

I'm not advocating adding such a mode (that'd be pretty far out of scope,
IMO), but there _are_ valid reasons to use such a thing.