Hostnames not resolving

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Feb 11 06:01:12 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 08:44 -0500, alan at aondra.com wrote:
> As per this StackExchange thread:
>

> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/171270/openconnect-not-resolving-hostnames
>

> Addresses such as this will not resolve:
>      http://site.company.local/
>
> However, this is perfectly fine:
>      http://site/
>

> Both of these work in Windows machines, but I'm unable to glean any
> useful information from them (such as the WINS server address). If this
> were a single site I wouldn't hesitate to just add an entry to my hosts
> file, but there are dozens of them (DOZENS!).
>
> If you have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated (especially
> since I've yet to find a resolution in three months).

Firstly, forget WINS. You were only talking about DNS, right?

Can you show the contents of /etc/resolv.conf after you connect?

You said you updated vpnc-script but it doesn't actually get used when
you're using NetworkManager. Let's stop using NetworkManager for the
moment and concentrate on openconnect+vpnc-script though, since that's
easier to diagnose.

Run openconnect from the command line, with the '-v' option, and show
the output. You'll need to run it as root for it to configure the
network (and DNS). Show the contents of /etc/resolv.conf when you're
connected that way.