Juniper Pulse doesn't connect properly

Pavel Kogan pkogan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 03:14:50 PST 2015

I'm not hard-coding the DSID anywhere, so I assume the wrapper script
gets a new one each time.

It kicks me off after a few seconds. Actually, I can't really be
certain it connects properly in the first place since I haven't been
able to access anything behind the VPN in the interim.

Yes, the host I'm connecting to does require host checking. I was
using `juniper-vpn.py` because I wanted to avoid having to download
and use a jar.

Anyway, with the tncc-wrapper.py from the openconnect repo:
```
$ sudo openconnect --juniper --useragent 'Mozilla/5.0 (Linux) Firefox'
--csd-wrapper=tncc-wrapper.py pulse.example.com
[sudo] password for pavel:
WARNING: Juniper Network Connect support is experimental.
It will probably be superseded by Junos Pulse support.
GET https://pulse.example.com/
Attempting to connect to server 19X.XXX.XXX.XXX:443
SSL negotiation with pulse.example.com
Connected to HTTPS on pulse.example.com
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.1 302 Found
GET https://pulse.example.com/dana-na/auth/url_5/welcome.cgi
SSL negotiation with pulse.example.com
Connected to HTTPS on pulse.example.com
frmLogin
username:pavel.kogan
password:
POST https://pulse.example.com/dana-na/auth/url_5/login.cgi
SSL negotiation with pulse.example.com
Connected to HTTPS on pulse.example.com
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.1 302 Moved
GET https://pulse.example.com/dana-na/auth/url_5/welcome.cgi?p=preauth&id=state_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&signinRealmId=3
SSL negotiation with pulse.example.com
Connected to HTTPS on pulse.example.com
socket opened
GET https://pulse.example.com/dana-na/auth/url_5/login.cgi?loginmode=mode_postAuth&postauth=state_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GET https://pulse.example.com/dana-na/auth/remediate.cgi?step=rolecheck&stateId=state_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&realmId=3&rolesremaining=0&realmsremaining=1
SSL negotiation with pulse.example.com
Connected to HTTPS on pulse.example.com
Unknown form ID 'frm'
Dumping unknown HTML form:
<form id="frm_142" name="frm" action="remediate.cgi">

    <input id="action_31" type="hidden" name="action" value="">

    <input id="signinId_2" type="hidden" name="signinId" value="">
    <input id="realmId_10" type="hidden" name="realmId" value="3">
    <input id="executedStep_2" type="hidden" name="executedStep"
value="rolecheck">
    <input id="stateId_8" type="hidden" name="stateId"
value="state_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">
    <input id="p_16" type="hidden" name="p" value="">

    <input id="showContinue_2" type="hidden" name="showContinue" value="0">
    <input id="showRemedOption_2" type="hidden" name="showRemedOption"
value="0">

    <input id="hostcheckTS_2" type="hidden" name="hostcheckTS" value="">
    <input id="totalseconds_2" type="hidden" name="totalseconds" value="">

    <input id="executedAction_2" type="hidden" name="executedAction" value="">
</form>Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.juniper.tnc.HttpNAR.HttpNAR.processCommands(HttpNAR.java:381)
        at net.juniper.tnc.HttpNAR.HttpNAR.run(HttpNAR.java:261)
        at net.juniper.tnc.NARPlatform.linux.LinuxHttpNAR.main(LinuxHttpNAR.java:52)
```

Handling this unrecognised form was actually the change I had to make
to `juniper-vpn.py`. It seems purely informational so I just had the
script ignore it and carry on to tncc. All the fields are read-only
(according to the dump I did from the python script) but maybe
something does need to be done with it?