Does openconnect bypass local IPs?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Aug 6 01:25:04 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 21:27 +0430, Sina Sabbagh wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm Sina and am new to the mailing list.
> My question is what happens when I try to reach a local ssh server or
> my modem's address? Does it go through openconnect or does it bypass
> the local addresses as expected?
> I know this sounds crazy but I can't access some features of my modem
> while connecting to openconnect.

It depends on the routing configuration that is requested by the
server.

If the VPN server asks for the default route to go to the VPN, then
that's what you get. The only packets routed out the local physical
interface will be packets for the VPN server. And packets to the
*immediate* local subnet.

Check your routing table, and see which way it routes packets for the
services you're trying to access.