Slow connections (something other than packet fragmentation?)

Peter Brant peter.brant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:14:37 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> You're running your VPN over TCP. That's never going to perform well.

Ah, I didn't know that the performance overhead of using TCP was that severe.

> Why is UDP connectivity to the server not working correctly? Are you
> behind some broken NAT, or does the server have broken firewalling?

Either is entirely possible. Besides my router, there is quite a bit
of network between me and the server (including my Austrian ISP [UPC]
and a couple of layers of State of Wisconsin [US] infrastructure).

I am forwarding UDP port 443 from my router to computer. Are there
other ports I should be forwarding too? Going the other direction,
what port(s) on the server needs to be accessible?

Thanks,

Peter