Cannot get certtool generated client certificate to work with AnyConnect client on iOS

David Frank bitinn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 09:15:57 PDT 2014

Same problem as Alex here, I can't spot a difference between these 2
commands, but only the openssl one works with AnyConnect client.

- openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey user-key.pem -in user-cert.pem -name
"service" -certfile ca-cert.pem -out user.p12

- certtool --to-p12 --load-ca-certificate ca-cert.pem --load-privkey
user-key.pem --load-certificate user-cert.pem --outfile user.p12

Am I right to believe both openssl and certtool choose 3des cipher by
default? Both certs work on Windows, so I suspect the issue is with
AnyConnect, but might worth figuring out why.

PS: tried AES cipher as well with certtool, same "Certificate Enrollment
- Certificate import has failed." message on import, but no error shown
in AnyConnect debug log.