Windows binaries

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Mar 7 04:52:32 EST 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 10:00 +0100, Jonathan Lauvernier wrote:

> Will you release OpenConnect binaries or detail how to build it on
> Windows soon please ?

Building for Windows is fairly trivial. On a Fedora box, just:

 yum install mingw32-gnutls mingw32-libxml2

Then run 'mingw32-configure' and 'make' in the OpenConnect source tree.

You'll end up with libopenconnect-3.dll and openconnect.exe in a .libs/
directory, and you need to copy those along with the other DLLs you need
from /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/ to the Windows box.

You can also use 'mingw64' instead of 'mingw32' to build a 64-bit
version.

You can test authentication (but obviously not *connections*) under wine
without having to use Windows.

You also need to install the Windows TAP driver. There's a signed
version in the OpenVPN installer, which is probably the easiest option:
http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html

I'm not stunningly keen on getting into the business of shipping
binaries. Especially this week, when it occurs to me that I'd be
scrambling to ship new versions of the GnuTLS DLL. On a platform which
doesn't have any sane and coherent software update/repository handling.

However, if anyone else wants to have a go at it then I won't dissuade
them.

Firstly, we probably want to put together a simple NSI installer for it,
so that you don't have to copy files piecemeal. I'd happily accept
patches to create a make target for that in the OpenConnect source tree,
along the lines of the one that get_iplayer has:
http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/tree/HEAD:/windows

(Don't be scared by that; it's quite a lot more complex than the
OpenConnect one would be, since it has to download a lot of other
non-bundled dependencies.)

Once that's done, it should be fairly simple to make packages in
something like the OpenSuSE Build System. We could even do nightly
builds that way. I think subsurface does its Windows builds that way, or
at least used to.

It would also be interesting to see if we can put together a GUI for
OpenConnect under Windows. Since fairly much everything can now be done
through the library API, it might be easy enough just to wrap the API
calls from your favourite scripting language... any language you can use
to do rapid prototyping should be good enough, and all the *interesting*
parts are done for you by the library.

Personally, however, I've already spent *more* than enough time on the
Windows build for now... :)