How to install latest version on Kali Linux

Kevin Cernekee cernekee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 18:06:01 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM,  <altang78 at gogo.mn> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know easiest way to install the latest version on Kali Linux. I
> need to save VPN credentials so that I'm trying to install latest version.
> The latest one is not there in APT repository, so I'm seeking PPA for the
> latest one.

If you really need 7.02, I don't know if anyone has made a Debian
package for it yet.

If you'd be satisfied with 6.00, I posted Ubuntu LTS builds in my PPA
a few months ago:

https://launchpad.net/~cernekee/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

What I've sometimes done in the past for a one-off PPA build is:

0) apt-get install devscripts debhelper debconf dpkg-dev
build-essential autoconf automake libtool

1) Look up the Debian package in experimental or unstable:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/openconnect

2) Fetch the dsc URL using dget:

dget -u http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openconnect/openconnect_6.00-1.dsc

3) Look at openconnect-*/debian/control and install all build dependencies

4) If your GnuTLS version is too old or broken, consider editing
debian/control and debian/rules to substitute OpenSSL (note: there's
also a range of OpenSSL versions that don't work with Cisco DTLS)

5) Run "debuild -uc -us" from the openconnect-6.00 directory, hack
around any errors, and repeat

6) Once it compiles, install and run a quick sanity test.  If it
doesn't completely keel over, "dput" it to my PPA.

If this works for 6.00, it might not be too hard to drop in a 7.02
tarball and run through the same process.

> I tried to install from the source and it was truly
> complicated, too many dependencies. Any input would be highly appreciated.

Did you try "apt-get build-dep openconnect"?

Building from the source tarball is probably a bit easier than the
procedure I listed above - but then you lose the benefits of packaging
and automatic updates.