[RFC/RFT] stoken and xmlconfig changes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Aug 3 00:52:36 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 00:31 -0700, Kevin Cernekee wrote:

> OK - since this is called from the main executable I can add it to the
> OPENCONNECT_PRIVATE export list as-is, or rename it to
> openconnect_open_utf8() first?
>
> I wasn't 100% sure it was needed because there were a couple of other
> "raw" open() / fopen() calls in main.c.  But it looks like all of the
> command line arguments do get translated into UTF-8 strings.

Hm, good point. Since this never goes into the library theoretically it
doesn't actually need to be converted to UTF-8. The library could deal
with it as it sees fit.

However, the approach of just using the local charset and never
converting isn't sufficient for Windows. You might have out-of-codepage
characters which are mangled in the standard argv[] and you *only* get
them from the GetCommandLineW() call... which is done in our
convert_arg_to_utf8() function.

So yes, I suppose exporting openconnect_open_utf8() and perhaps also
openconnect_fopen_utf8() under OPENCONNECT_PRIVATE is probably the way
to go. I was planning to take a look at what *else* might want to be
exported, now that charset handling ended up throughout libopenconnect
(it started *only* in main.c). Maybe that convert_str() function...

Feel free to leave that to me though, if you prefer.