[Openvpn-devel] TAP adapter detection

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 24 07:56:46 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 02:25:55PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 17:01 -0400, Greg Toombs wrote:
> > Found the problem. tun-win32.c:45 -
> > #define TAP_COMPONENT_ID "tap0901"
> >
> > This is only valid for the most recent version of the TAP adapter. For
> > other versions, this should actually be "tapoas". So openconnect
> > saying that there are no TAP adapters is incorrect. Instead, it should
> > check all known component IDs, and then check for the version, so that
> > instead of reporting no TAP adapters, it detects the following:
> >
> > Error: TAP-Windows driver v9.9 or greater is required (found 9.7)
> > Set up tun device failed
>
> Hm, really "tapoas"? Where did that driver come from?
>
> As far as I can tell from the OpenVPN revision history, they've used
> 'tap0901' since February 2007¹ and it was 'tap0801' before that.

Yep.

There is a new one, a NDIS 6 driver, as the old one was NDIS 5 and that
is eventually going to be discontinued (plus, performance is worse).  But
the new one is still in "early testing", so I wouldn't expect people to
unknowingly use it...

	https://github.com/OpenVPN/tap-windows6
	http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/8342

OTOH, the src/ tree mentions "TapOas" a few times, so it could very
well be...  but that one's version.h identifies itself as "tap0901".

Dunno, have no machine with the new tap driver that I could check right
now.  Just providing references.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de