Diagnosing error "SSL read error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated"

Kevin Cernekee cernekee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:01:46 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like what you thought: csd-wrapper gets run and then stops
> (when I quit openconnect, that defunct entry goes away). I also
> noticed that when re-checking after being vpn'd for ~10min (with
> openconnect still going), the cscan entry wasn't there anymore,
> either. I quit and restarted openconnect and it looks like it ran for
> ~1min.

Well, just to rule it out, you can try the attached csd.sh (which
skips running the trojan).  You'll need the curl utility installed to
POST the policy info to the gateway.

> $ sudo pacman -Qi openconnect     # Arch's versioning... which appears
> different than the below
> Name           : openconnect
> Version        : 1:5.03-1
> Description    : Open client for Cisco AnyConnect VPN
> Architecture   : x86_64
> URL            : http://www.infradead.org/openconnect.html
> Licenses       : GPL

This should probably say LGPLv2.1.

> $ openconnect --version
> OpenConnect version v5.03
> Using GnuTLS. Features present: PKCS#11, DTLS
>
> $ sudo pacman -Q | grep gnutls
> gnutls 3.3.0-1

When I saw your pastebin I wondered whether it was an old build that
didn't have DTLS compiled in.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.
So your client supports DTLS but you're getting a TLS-only connection
for some reason.

On a public wifi network I would worry about packet loss / congestion,
and maybe timeouts on long lived TCP sessions.  DTLS would help with
all of those.

Could you post the result from connecting with "openconnect -v" so we
can see if the gateway has DTLS disabled?