Poor performance w/iperf connecting to an IOS SSL VPN

jmitchel at bigjar.com jmitchel at bigjar.com
Sun Jan 20 23:48:11 EST 2013

Hello,

I have two customers that have 6 devices running Cisco's SSL VPN solution,
four 1921 IOS routers running 15.1M(4) and an ASA 5505 and 5510. One ASA
is running 8.2(5). I first tried out Open Connect on a HP Jornada 720
running NetBSD's hpcarm port. What I noticed was that the performance as
measured by  iperf connecting to the IOS devices was horrible
(2kbit/second) whereas the performance connecting to the ASA devices was
good (4Mbit/second). I thought this might have something to do with the
low end processor on the Jornada, so I tested it on an mbook M1 (Intel
Atom 1100Mhz) and the results connecting to the IOS devices was the same
(I could max out the Internet pipe to the ASA devices with a full sized
USB Wifi dongle.

Before I start capturing packets and asking questions on the NetBSD lists,
I wondered if someone could tell me the differences in the SSL VPN
implementation between the ASA's and the routers's implementation of SSL
VPN's?

Thanks for reading,

Jason M.